Re: Help - clutch failure

You wrote:

>Can anyone help me with this clutch prob:
>I was driving fairly hard (about 40 Mph) taking some fairly hard turns
- and
>was using the clutch fairly hard.  When i pulled out of one of the
turns i
>noticed i couldn't get any of my gears.  Then i noticed that there was
NO
>tension at all on the clutch pedal.  After closer examination i found
out
>that the cables are all ok
>basically everything in my sight (ie not enclosed.. pressure plate...)
was
>fine.
>Has anyone experienced this problem before? Is there anyway to solve
it w/o
>dropping out the transmission? (BTW how much does this cost?)
>The car is an 86 scirocco 16v with a 2,000 mile old sachs 210mm clutch
on it.
> Any help is appreciated.

This has been MY experience with a simular situation. I had my mom on
the car for the first time since all of my major mods were completed. I
went from first, second and was shifting it into 3rd when something
poped and I couldnt get it into gear. I pulled over and checked the
cable and determined it was OK so it had broken the little finger
inside the tranny since the lever would not budge. (It pushes on the
throwout bearing.) SO, I got me a new end cap (The green cap on the end
of the tranny) and one of those new fingers. When the parts got here,
(I order ALL of my parts from Mike Potter at Timmons VW. Awsome
prices!)I went to work on the tranny. When I got the end cap off I
found that the finget had not broken at all. Heres what happened.
While I was shifting, the clutch cable finished chewing its way thru
the cable, just under the intake tube so it wasnt easily visable. When
it got through the cable's teflon tubing, it gave the cable about an
inch of instant freeplay. When this happened, the throwout bearing
poped back and turned sideways. Now when I pushed on the clutch, the
finger was pressing on nothing but air and such, no gears.
In conclusion, your problems could be as simple as:
clutch cable
or as complicated as:
clutch finger broke. (Internal by the throwout bearing)
throwout bearing has turned. --->(I Dont think so since you say you
have pressure on the clutch lever. if it were amazingly difficult to
move, it might be the bearing has turned.)<---
Clutch pressure plate ---> they do in fact break, but not very
often.<---
I hope this helps!

Shawn